PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR in Scotland ??
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2004, 22:57
PH-UKU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
.... Learning to fly in Scotland

... well .... ? I can strongly recommend Inverness for learning. Beautiful scenery, bit of an introduction to the mountains and Scottish weather AND your qualifying cross-country might be over the sea to Orkney !!!

Word of advice - never believe the BBC reports about the weather up here.

I did my licence in Inverness in 3 weeks. Yes, 3 weeks. Only had 2 days scrubbed due to weather. The Moray Firth does tend to have a bit of a micro climate, much better and milder than other parts of Scotland - also the reason why there are 2 RAF bases (Lossiemouth and Kinloss) situated here.

I now fly from Glasgow, and if truth be told it is wetter on the west coast. Out of 10 bookings to fly, I probably cancel about 6 of them in the winter, and perhaps 3 in the summer due to weather. If I flew out of Prestwick (30 miles Southwest) it woudl be better as the weather is less localised there. However you get used to working out your own weather, best days are in behind cold fronts in the winter - can be a bit breezy but the vis is superb.

On the east coast you will get more fog (haar blowing in off the sea) but generally it is milder and sunnier than the west coast (only 60 miles away).

ANd of course, when you get your licence, you are but a short step away from the UKs only floatplane school !!