PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot = Idiot - Don't do it.
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2004, 20:49
visuals_rule

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wizofoz, I am not insulting anyone. Maybe you feel insulted by a punchy headline, or maybe you feel its a bit true and wants to kill the messenger. Its not important. Its not about your specific job or mine, its about whats true in general.

Lets see... 3 types of jobs, earning as much as a LCC pilot in Ryanair (less than 60 Euros a flight hour before tax and selfpaid company related expenses / 70 hours a months, not guaranteed) or other LCC, or any eastern European operator, or jetprop jobs -infact anything but flag carriers....

Take your pick:
http://jobstar.org/tools/salary/sal-prof.cfm

And please remember to correct for your lack of job security, actual hours spent on your job instead of just block hours, the general expectation that YOU pay for any course or training you need or might need in the future to keep flying, selfsponsored education etc., when you compare the salaries...

Please - dont kid yourself. Its true you CAN earn a very good salary in aviation, and it seems you are ok off, but for the average pilot... he might have been better of with a "real" education and then just live out his dreams in a Cessna during the weekend.

...and "Mercurius". I appreciate your honesty on this matter. You are right, that we\'d be better off without the dreamers. But as long as flying is fun there will always be young aces willing to work for nothing, dreaming of a great future.