PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Red Arrows To Finish - Has Tony Gone Too Far?? (Merged x 2)
Old 29th Jun 2004, 16:50
JessTheDog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good article in the Telegraph today about the breakdown in trust between the government and the armed forces. I wouldn't trust the s#!ts as far as I could throw them! As to increases in defence spending claimed by Pr00ne, that may well prove to be tosh! We need to see if the comprehensive spending review puts some sums to the very vague White Paper. I reckon that MoD are pulling the normal government trick and counting money twice. I've seen my budget slashed as costs for T&S increase because of a lack of service accommodation at most units and that is just one first-hand experience of a lack of dosh! Also, why should the defence budget suffer over the Iraq war? This was apparently a national undertaking as a result of a threat to UK interests, if not safety and security, so the benefits of improved security should be paid for by all. More to do with trying to avoid the political cost of a tax rise for an unpopular war, the controversy over which will reignite when the Butler report is published which is apparently investigating press releases sent to regional newspapers with "45 mins" highlighted in yellow highlighter pen. So much for no spin. I feel as if the armed forces have been greatly damaged by association with this venture and are now being reamed to pay for it.

Sorry for this rant that is a bit off-thread.