PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Selling Emergency Exit Seats
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2004, 16:36
OFBSLF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a frequent flyer I find myself in agreement with Flybywire on this. Despite the number of times I travel and as aircraft are becoming almost identical inside I still listen to the safety briefing and always look for the exit nearest my seat as I board. Mentally I always plan how I am going to reach it if required to.
It's been several years since I did the road-warrior thing (thank goodness I'm out of that business). One year I did 125,000+ miles, travelling 50 weeks out of 52.

On every flight, I located the nearest exit and an alternate. On every flight, I review the seat-pocket evacuation card and try to memorize how the nearest exit operates. If I'm sitting in an exit row, I compare the evacuation instructions on the card to the exit, to make very sure that I know how to operate the exit. I also check to see if the aircraft has floor lighting that would guide me to an exit. If I'm close to an exit, I count the number of seatbacks that I would pass to get to the exit, so that hopefully I could find it in poor visibility.

But no, I did not listen to the safety briefing. I know how to fasten and remove the seat belt. I know how to put on the O2 mask. I know where the evacuation briefing card is -- I've already read it.

I do my checks long before the safety briefing -- as soon as I sit down and get settled.

OFBSLF