PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sackings at Emirates
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2004, 14:16
Cap 56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wino wrote

Generally for regulatory reasons, you cannot reduce thrust more than 25 percent as part of a flex power (reduced power) takeoff. So for round numbers we will use a 777 with 100,000lb thrust motors (pretty close to what AA has, I think the rolls royce engines are good for 94,000). So if you took the maximium reduction of thrust available (usual done as a simulated air temperature, we will say 70 dedgrees C but this part isn't important, just background info on how they do it)
Actually it's 75 % of the max thrust of the day under the prevailing conditions and NOT 75 % of the max thrust at SL.

I can see that finally the EK guys have taken a BIG U turn.

The drama is that it took an incident like this one for the dynamics that wee needed to unfold.

Edited to add:

Once you are down to 75 % every meter behind you is a lost one.

Altough there may be some advantages in intersection T/O the main motive is often to get airborne earlier. (makes no sense on a 8 hr flight)

Often on a wide body you are limited by the time needed by your cabin to get ready anyway.

Nobody will argue that close to V 1 you have to be go minded and therefore some extra runway ahead of you will give you more time to get it right.

Fly wire

Unfortunately there are still are a number of dead wood trainers come checkers (old school, lucky to have got their positions in the beginning days) lurking around, who have had jack**** experience in training and who are excellent at checking and no clue as to how to give instruction, and who are clinging to their jobs as "trainers".
You should have been there five years ago, you may not realise it but we are not that different after all

I advise those new guys who might get involved to be very carefully even if EK asks them to get involved and use the backup of Airbus or Boeing as the case may be in order to get it right.

Get everthing in writing, a word is quickly gone in the wind.