PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR in Scotland ??
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2004, 11:07
knobbygb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends how you define VFR really.

Just came back from flying in Scotland, and I'd say that the instructors/regulars up there generally seem to be more comfortable about flying in 'bad' weather than their conterparts down-south.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about illegal or dangerous flying here, just a different attitude - kind of 'half full glass rather than half empty' - VFR until proven otherwise - 'you can always turn round and come back if you don't like it'. I was taken (by a very experienced instructor) flying down narrow valleys between mountains who's peaks were 2000 ft above us and well obscured in low cloud. The lesson was to make sure you could see a way out at the other end of the valley or have enough room to turn around, and to be decisive about what to do and when to turn around.

I don't so this sort of stuff solo, but it's made me more confident about flying in poor weather and allowed me to stretch my limits a bit. I've also been flying in WAY more wind than my normal club would allow (25 gusting 30 headwind for t/o and landing), and flown through some pretty heavy rain showers/poor vis. All good experience.

You'll enjoy flying up there - when you really can't fly you'll save money for the good weather days which can be REALLY stunning. Go for it, I say.