PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Selling Emergency Exit Seats
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2004, 09:29
St Helens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a frequent flyer I find myself in agreement with Flybywire on this. Despite the number of times I travel and as aircraft are becoming almost identical inside I still listen to the safety briefing and always look for the exit nearest my seat as I board. Mentally I always plan how I am going to reach it if required to.
I have sat next to the over wing exit on many a flight and I have found that the cabin crew have ALWAYS made a point of explaining how it operates which I found very comforting. I even had one young lady ask if I was ok with her explanation to which she added 'Please don't open it for extra ventilation - you have a control in the panel above your head'

These exits exist to evacuate the passengers should the need arise and to clear the a/c in a given time for the numbers carried and are not there as some marketing tool or as a sop to fatty who wants all the room he/she can get The final say on who sits there must be down to the cabin crew and not a travel agent trying to make a sale or a check in person bowing to a moaning pax.

Just my observation for what it worth, but if you are like me next time you board don't just look for the exit but see who is sitting next to it because you may need to climb over them.