PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety Alert PFA Rally Routings
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2004, 06:06
Aussie Andy
PPruNaholic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi CM,

So, what are you proposing to address this? Are you suggesting more controlled airspace?

The risks of IFR approach phases through Class G exist at all times. Radar approach assistance is provided, and on a day like this - as with the glider competitions but less so - the APP unit will advise the IFR arrival that there are multiple returns, level unknown. When in VMC in Class G the IFR arrival has to see and avoid or divert.

That is the system unless you put Class D airspace, or some other type, around the airfield. Is that what you propose? Is it really necessary? IMHO, we either accept and understand the risks of Class G, or we give it up.

Arguably it would be a bit better for the IFR arrival if we were to convert the Class G to Class E at low levels, as in much of France and the US for example. In the US this affords IFR from IFR separation when in IMC, but doesn't change the risk that you are concerned with here.

So, I recognise the risks but I am not clear what you are proposing to do about it? I guess you could cancel the rally, but that would seem a bit OTT...

Andy