PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Croydon Airport
Thread: Croydon Airport
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2004, 05:15
Heatseeker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NC

I actually worked at Croydon Aerodrome (I don't think the word airport had been invented when they built it) back in the early 1960's long after it had ceased to be used by aircraft. My job was in the AFTN comcentre which was in what I think was an old converted hangar right on the Purley Way. By this time the middle of the field was completely overgrown by grass although the perrimeter track was still there. Used to let my 14 year old brother drive me car around it until I found out that the local plod used to take their dogs for a run there. I remember the old hard stand still being there and if my memory serves me right the old control tower still had the plaque stating that it was 650 feet above sea level. My favourite memory is of the "old" aerodrome hotel which in my day was a lovely boozer still complete with lots of old signed photo's of the original aviators and their 'trixes. It was a standing feature there that since at 10 p.m. around 35 of us on our watch would all arrive in one big scrum, at about 9.55 the barmen would start pulling 35 pints and have them on the counter ready for us - and then start pulling the next 35 - remember way back then we only had half an hours drinking time left until last orders.

Not too long after I left in 1964 the whole thing was turned into Roundshaw housing estate and the last time I saw the pub, sometime in the m id 70's it was all neon and crap. Gotta say though even I don't go back as far as the time they had traffic lights on the Purley Way to stop the traffic so that aircraft taking off could cross the road and use the field on the other side to continue their run.

Ah nostalgia mate, it IS what it used to be.

Heat