PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Feds say no to United bailout for third and 'final' time
Old 29th Jun 2004, 00:42
West Coast

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
Digitalis posted

"A BA Captain of similar experience and seniority would earn about the same as a relatively junior United 737 co-pilot"

And then

"perhaps my facts aren't quite correct"

I'd say so. Somewhere around a $90,000 difference

To use your example, a junior 737/320 FO at UA is pulling down $35/hr to start. In today's terms a junior FO has been with the company 5 years, makes $92/hr and likely came from a number of years in the military or at a regional making lousy pay. He wasn't hired in some ab initio training program or sponsorship after university as is common outside the US. I don't know if this is a path BA uses or not, if however it does it further emphasizes the differences from the US model and that of other countries. You can't simply say you make too much because you compare wallet size. If you started only making a decent wage in your mid to late 30's able only then to properly fund a retirement and other considerations you might think otherwise.

I don't doubt additional pay, work rules and most likely the A fund will be given back in the near future to help in the cause. That doesn't mean they are now overpaid.

A little bit of research was called for before posting on something as touchy as ones pay and by extension continued viability of the company.