PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are the ATPL's worth in the real world
Old 28th Jun 2004, 21:25
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, you could discuss the pros and cons of this argument for ages and still be no nearer an agreed answer. I think that as you progress through your flying career you will understand just how little knowledge is required for the ATPL ground exams, and how little relevance they have to your overall career.

I was in the somewhat unusual position of having been flying for 20 years, and many thousands of hours, in four-engined long range transport aircraft when I took the exams. I didn't require any new knowledge other than to know what the wrong (but officially correct) answers to certain questions were, and what was regarded as the most correct answer in the many questions that examined your English rather than your aviation knowledge! That took me about four weeks, and I passed all the exams at first sitting. I am well aware of the quantity of work required for those of you new to the subjects, but even the most evangelical groundschool instructor would probably agree that the quality of knowledge required is not high.

However, it's really a superfluous argument because you have to do them however difficult or easy they are, and no-one's going to give you any academic recognition for it. As you move further through your career, you'll realise how relatively insignificant the ATPL exams (and their build up) really are. That doesn't make them easier now, I know!

Have faith that once they're over, you needn't go back over that ground again!

Scroggs