PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Waddington Airshow
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2004, 20:36
Nat O'Thee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok so having been a reader of these forums for a number of years, this is the subject that has managed to stir me into a response. Not an expert in the subject but having been attending airshows since 1984 (Middle Wallop), been a serving member of the RAF for the same 20 years and been part of the organisation responsible for putting a number of large and small shows together, I feel qualified to enter the hornets nest and pass comment.

Some very interesting views on the Waddington event over the weekend, just wanted to add a couple of points and ask a couple of questions?

No traffic problems, guess that person was not trying to drive up the A15 from Cranwell at approx 10.30 Sun morning, took over an hour to get through the gate, to me that qualifies as a traffic problem. Listening to the "Airshow" radio and I gather that it wasnt only the A15 with problems. "Lincoln gridlocked" was a quote from the radio.

Now it is a fact that RAF Airfields were not constructed for easy access of circa 20,000 cars but Waddington is a lot better situated than Fairford, A15 major A road and A46 major dual carrigeway within 10 mins, so it should be easier to get in and out! But it wasnt.

Airshow radio was at best a bit of a joke, very little traffic information "Midland Radar mid 80's comes to mind", lots of very sad text messages and far too many in jokes about the E-3 fleet and the banter between 8 and 23. Come on guys this goes out to a lot of people and is the voice of the Royal Air Force?

Static aircraft content was of limited interest. Yes I know in these days of the drawdown and cutbacks it is hard, but do we really need a line up of old JP's as a reminder of how it used to be. Regular knock of RIAT is too many F-16's and Tornado's, well seems that the trend has moved North, but the aircraft have shrunk and been painted red and white.

A previous post mentions "paid" RIAT volunteers, Swinging Monkey takes this as getting cash in the pocket. I would take it as the cost of overhead for the volunteer. A team of around 200 sells Programmes at RIAT, normally from a local charity. They have a donation made to their charity and are fed and watered through the weekend. This costs money! Fortunately there is still enough slack in the system to allow the studes from Sleaford Tech to come up to Waddington and better themselves by meeting the public and selling programes at the same time. This is just one example of the overheads involved in Gloucestershire that are not seen in Lincolnshire.

Yes both products give to the RAFBF, and both do it well. Each are not perfect - but they are pretty close for the market they are supplying. Swinging Monkey I am sure that you see everything at RIAT as bad and everthing elsewhere as great, I guess that you will think the forthcoming Farnborough show will be the best thing since hi-leg boots replaced DMS?

I will close on the thought " You dont have a smart car to race to the South of France for a long weekend, and you dont use an SL55 AMG to commute to your office in the city and park it on a meter all day". Different things suit different roles. Waddington was not a good place to host corporate hospitality, but it was a great Sunday market with an aviation theme. RIAT however is not the best place to buy a new kitchen floor mop, it is a great place to take avaiation minded businessman that want a different hospitality package from Henley, Wimbledon and the football.

Just my thoughts, on a subject that I have probably been a lot closer to than most.