PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Red Arrows To Finish - Has Tony Gone Too Far?? (Merged x 2)
Old 28th Jun 2004, 20:00
smartman

Capt Sparrow - I am a wrinkly. In fact I'm now quite saggy and dangly (even more so since last September). So I'm going to be unfashionable, show my age, and express my unwavering admiration for this enduring British icon.

Over the past 40 years or so the Red Arrows have demonstrated excellence, flown the flag worldwide, entertained, provided inspiration for millions and aspiration for many. They continue to do so when not a few of our once-revered institutions/values are going down the gurgler at an ever-increasing and saddening rate.

Those out there who believe that BAe rode/rides high on the back of the team, and think that a single Hawk was exported because of the Red Arrows are lacking brain cells. They might instead contemplate the benefit to 'UK Ltd' brought about by the many demanding overseas tours, of which BAe was just one proud sponsor, and be just a little proud of the reaction that always followed their foreign displays - most of which went un-noticed within the general public back here. And those who talk of prima-donnas (pilots or groundcrew) are either acutely aware of their own dearth of testosterones, just plain envious, or thick.

For those of you who are bored with the routine, my son-in-law and grandson recently saw them for the first time - awesome said the 11 year-old: his dad used an expletive. I'll also bet all our veterans watching the D-Day flypast over Arromanche on the 6th June felt a bit of the same. Bored? - then forget aviation, take up croquet (sorry to croquet lovers).

And as for the cost? A snip. A year's wages for Ericsson and four of his 'professionals'. I know, I know, that's not real public money - but it underlines the sadness associated with one of those institutions that I mentioned to begin with.

Far from going down the gurgler, our National Aerobatic Team will outlast all those good British things that are fast becoming memories.

Soap box back in shed

Last edited by smartman; 28th Jun 2004 at 22:37.