PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Waddington Airshow
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2004, 18:22
AlanM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSM

Firstly, congrats to all involved with Waddo. I never made it this year, but others have said it went well.

Having worked as an Organising Committee Member for 6 years, I can tell you that most are volunteers like myself. As this is a huge organisation, they need full time employees and a large residence. Something unavoidable considering the RAFBFE other interests.

Now - your bitching about RIAT can be split into a number of categories.

1. The "freeloading" - Now this was getting out of hand I must admit. Teams were getting bigger and bigger - but this has been acknowledged and curtailed.

2. VIP's - Who were guests of the main sponsors of aircrew used facilities such as the Flight Centre, Sunday Night Party, Aircrew Enclosure on the flight line. Brings in wads of dosh.

3. Ingress/Egress - Simple fact of lots of people wanting to leave/arrive at the same time from an airfield with small country roads surrounding it! They are trying to help the mass exodus, by setting a concert at the end to help stem the flow.

4. Ticket prices - Yes they are pricey at RIAT. But you get what you pay for and from what I am told you get more for your money at RIAT!

The thing that REALLY annoys me is the fact that both THE RAFBFE and THE WADDINGTON AIR SHOW are there to raise funds for the RAFBF. Why oh why does the British way of rubbishing everything get in the way? Even if RIAT only raised £100 it is still profit for the fund.

Also - don't forget that RIAT is widely acknowledged as being merely the showpiece for the RAFBFE and they make much more money throughout the year on its other ventures.

So well done Waddo - and everyone involved. Quite why it has become a bun fight I do not know!

Cheers

Alan