PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Waddington Airshow
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2004, 16:07
The Swinging Monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuk Old Boy,

No, I didn't leave at that time so I can't comment on your particular delays but I did leave at about 6.15 ish, and got out with no hold-ups at all. Just out of interest, how long does it normally take you to get out of RIAT??

Your comments about some aspects are pretty much way off the mark:

"well they both contribute to the RAF Benevolent fund but as Waddo does not have the "Overheads" i.e. hosting overpaid aircrew in hotels and business VIPS then the RAF Fund receives a lot more from Waddo than it does from RIAT"

Now come on, you can't have it both ways. Yes I concede that RIAT DO have more overheads, but as AlanM says, the numbers going to the RIAT (3 Day) airshow are:
a) considerably more, and
b)charged infinately more money to get in.
(The base is probably 2-3 times the size of Waddo!)

Also take into account the thousands of commercial stalls at RIAT, all paying phenominal prices (my friend owns Terrane Ltd and for his 10 metre pitch this year, RIAT want something like £2000. Needless to say he is NOT going to attend this year (see, they even rip off traders)

And as for your comment: "Of course they don't have to pay staff or rely on volunteers at Waddo as they have loads of willing helpers in blue suits"

Gosh, you really have let the cat out of the bag there........... RIAT claims that everyone at their show are volunteers, are you now saying that they are not, and hence their lack of money for donation?? Pray tell us more....
Speak up Stuk old boy, myself and many others will be interested to know what you mean about RIAT having to pay for all these 'volunteer' staff.

And as for hosting 'overpaid aircrew' Oh dear, patently are not a flyer (so why are you on this forum??)

I can assure you that having attended RIAT several times as one of your 'overpaid aircrew' things are very much different to what you percieve them to be. Accomodated in hotels? you must be having a laugh. Most aircrew are accomodated miles from the base, in a grotty $hithole in and around Swindon, and endure a nice 3, 4 and even 5 hour bus journey back to and from there 'hotel' to the base.

Get your facts right Stuk. Talk to the aircrew first, then you won't look quite as silly as you do now.

Anyway, this is all detracting from my praise for Paul and his team. Well done once again.

Kind regards
The Swinging Monkey