PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Waddington Airshow
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2004, 12:52
BLW Skylark 4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to add to 'TSM's comments, congratulations to all concerned on a great day out (Sunday).

HOWEVER on a couple of other points:-

Typhoon

Sorry but this was about the biggest non event of a display I've ever seen, it was outflown by the Belgian (?) F16 - "Tiger 31" and the Grob 115. STUK's comments shed some light on this but the reaction of Joe Public around me was not impressed.

Access

Whether it was the influence of the deluge late on Sunday afternoon but anyone who says there were no delays getting out is kidding themself. No problem to me as I like wandering around the static getting clear photos whilst everyone else queues, but when I left at 19.30 there were still big queues getting off base and on the A15. Methinks that traffic delays are an inevitable factor of any event attended by a large number of people.

Waddo v RIAT

As other posters have said, these are totally different shows. As one of RIAT's volunteers I'm looking forward to nine days of bloody hard work (having taken leave to be there) but I dont think its fair to copmpare the two events. Waddo has the ability to call upon all the unpaid resources (albeit not unlimited these days!) of the RAF and the base personnel, RIAT is reliant upon volunteers and corporate spending. I very much hope that there are less examples of the corporate excesses in evidence this year at RIAT but it shouldnt be forgotten that Waddo has these too. What about the VIP vehicle route where everybody has to stop crossing whenever a VIP vehicle comes into view lest they should be momentarily delayed or detained. Similarly, wasnt the final GR4 delayed at the hold yesterday whilst a 32 Sqn 125 was parked on the runway waiting for the VIPs to walk from the hospitality tent to the aircraft. Still, give them their dues, they did walk the 400' or thereabouts - I was expecting a car!!

Final positive words though must go the Chinook - what an unbelievable display guys, hats off to all concerned.

Cant wait for next year (even with RIAT & FI2004 on the horizon) and if anyone wants copies of any of my photos from yesterday, drop me a line. I was on the flightline all of yesterday PM so may have pics if you were displaying anything.

Well done!

Paul.