PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EH101 Merlin
Thread: EH101 Merlin
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2004, 17:39
Melrin Dip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't stop myself from replying to the 'sh@%e' above invented by those whose sea time can only be measured in ferry crossings.

I have done Ship Helicopter Limit Trials (SHOLs) in both the Sea King and Merlin.

Which is more capable - THE MERLIN
Which scared me the most - THE SEA KING
What is better at night in the pitch black with 4 metres of swell and 30ft of dec movement - THE MERLIN

The Merlin is second only to the Lynx in terms of ship compatibility and manoeuvreability.

The point made above about CVS and aircraft types hits it on the head. Prior to Merlin introduction to service as soon as the GR7s came on board the HAS 6 Sea Kings were kicked off to the RFA. Actually the RFA (both Wave Class and Fort Class) are better platforms and are better in nearly all respects than a CVS for a unit to operate from.

On a totally different note a colleague of mine recently serving with the Army in Bosnia told me how much they liked the Merlin on real ops in comparison to the Puma. He's not a pilot and drives ships for a living.

Merlin will carry on and beat the world whatever those who like to shoot crap at it form the ignorant outside may like to say.