PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EH101 Merlin
Thread: EH101 Merlin
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2004, 18:30
Melrin Dip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish EH101 Merlin

A RW colleague of mine on another forum said we need a thread on how good the Merlin HM 1 is and why all us operator types like it so much.

Well in these times of rumour and counter-rumour especially from those who want to kill off other peoples projects I will start. Of course there will be the detractors but I'm sure we can guarantee they aren't Merlin orientated or have ever been closer than watching a flypast.

The aircraft is much better than the Sea King it replaces - more space, better radar , sonar and other kit.

It flies very much like a Lynx and around the flight deck whether its at night or in poor weather its a complete dream to handle.

Its fast and smooth - senior officers love to be transported in it.

On a frigate its like having and airborne ops room, SH helo and ASW aircraft all in one. It can do all these things at once without serious limitation to the other roles.

Despite what you might believe or have been told its an epic SAR platform.

You may wish to disagree with me on serviceability or the like but thats not an inherent aircraft design issue - its the support/stores contract that was put in place by our friend Mr Portillo in 1993/4. Funny how the Conservatives forget all their best decisions.

Costs - all costs of aircraft these days relate to total aircraft PROGRAMME costs - including design support and simulators etc. I guarantee you that is not the case when you compare with other aircraft and how much are Nimrod MR4s a piece?

Finally - if you want to really comment on Merlin. Travel SW and visit Culdrose - get in one (or even see the sim) - and decide objectively for yourself.

I expect someone will bring the accident up in this thread - DON'T!, wait for the BOI.