Thread: EH101 Merlin
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2004, 09:20
Navaleye
Suspicion breeds confidence

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Webf,

I have some responses to your questions:

1. Is it possible or desirable for the Merlin to be fitted with the HMG pod, given the current threat from small surface craft?

>> I don't think a suitable pod exists as yet and if it did it would not be "integrated". We would still be in manually aimed environment. IIRC there are proposals to fit a .50cal pod to the Merlin. Quite why they chose .50cal beats me. Too light for junk bashing.

2. Is it possible for the Type 23 Frigate to carry both a Merlin and a Lynx (for Sea Skua and machine gun capability)?

>> No. Just not enough room. I don't think the Merlin will ever be cleared for Sea Skua. the T23 hangar seems narrower then the T22. I maybe wrong on this though.

3. The Italians have armed their Merlins (or whatever they call them) with anti ship missiles. Will we do the same?

>>No. but we should. Penguin would be an excellent choice, with good range and warhead size.

4. It is planned that out of sixteen T23s, only twelve will receive Merlin and the new 2087 towed array sonar. Given the ship handling problems associated with towed arrays, isn't Merlin a more serious thing to not get. Shouldn't they at least get Merlin?

>>I suspect the T23s in question will be "retired early" before too long eliminating the problem.

Last edited by Navaleye; 10th Jun 2004 at 12:21.