PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EH101 Merlin
Thread: EH101 Merlin
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2004, 22:02
The Ferret

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish The Mk 1

Melrin Dip - thanks for breaking this thread out of the accident - no I will not mention it!

Having flown the aircraft, I agree with your sentiments and support your view that the Merlin Mk 1 is a world beater with much to offer the ASW, AsuW and SAR fraternities. Having also been winched out of the sea by one, however, I still believe that the Sea King, or smaller helos have their place in certain SAR scenarios where the Merlin downwash would be excessive. Do not get me wrong - the aircraft has the speed of response, range and avionics to meet the demands of most SAR situations but there are limitations as I am sure the Canadian Cormorant will find.

There are still a few things missing..........

The twin wheels on the Mk 3 is an item that the Mk 1 dearly needs! With only single wheels of the main undercarriage it imposes too many operating restrictions, not to mention the safety aspects of relying on one tyre on one side!

It needs a Defensive Aid Suite (DAS) if we intend to operate it in the littoral.

It needs an Electro Optice (EO) device if we are going to take the ASuW role seriously and..........

............it needs an anti surface weapon!

How do the rear seat crews now feel about flying backwards (facing aft) - does it still affect their SA or have they adapted?