PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are the ATPL's worth in the real world
Old 28th Jun 2004, 09:52
Ropey Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree with scroggs on this one. SOME peole who either left school pretty early or dispensed with maths physics etc for history philosophy etc do have difficulty with the exams. I have also heard the 'equivilent degree' angle bandied around.

From my personal experience there isn't anything in the 'basics' that isn't covered at O level or earlier and all the 'specific' stuff is, as already said, just learned by rote with very little need for understanding - and quite often just plain wrong.

The comms papers are a joke (people do walk out after 3 mins having finished), Mass and balance is remembering about 8 different 1 line descriptions and one formula (small mass over big mass = small distance over big distance). Met is a large subject, but really just short term knowledge retention and so on.

I don't wish to belittle people who have difficulty with the exams (if there was a GCSE in philosophy I wouldn't stand a chance of passing), but the fact that some people do find them difficult (as do people taking GCSEs) doesn't mean they are it just means that that type of subject is not your forte.

ps to those who struggled and passed - well done . To those who are struggling to pass - keep it up and good luck