PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's it like being Captain of a jet aircraft for the very first time???
Old 28th Jun 2004, 02:10
Fragman88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CPTVOR ,

I hope you manage to get yourself out of that particular Dinosaur's cave before he gets you both into strife-- fortunately you'll be unable to find many more like him as you move on.

Magnificent post, full of wisdom. Old Smokey's comment about 'Tunneling' on the approach remind me of a study done a long time ago by BA. They measured the pulse rates of the Capt and F/O during the approach. The results were: Capt flying. (Say) Capt 120, F/O 90, F/O flying, Capt still 120, F/O 120.

My first 'Solo', on a 747---- WONDERFUL.

And I still gratefully remember the F/O and F/E who gave me the support and confidence to enable me to handle my first real challenge a couple of weeks later.

The other thing I noticed, with gratitude, when I became more senior, (on the principle that there is only so much cr@p to go around), is that he new commanders seem to get much more than their share of it in their first three months or so. This is stuff completely beyond anyone's control such as birdstrikes, engine failures, tech failures etc. More for them, less left for me! Plus they are fresh from the conversion machine and can probably handle it better anyway!

The LHS is a different game, but one to look forward to with all your heart.

GOOD LUCK.