PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet lag...How minimize it?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2004, 15:40
Carl Rawson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know if this helps. I'm still waiting for my first job and I very much doubt that it'll be long-haul! However, I do have family in CA - USA and visit regularly and have found that discipline is the key to jet lag.
1: Going Westbound. Get a little sleep if you can on the way and imediately upon leaving the UK put your watch to their time. Discipline yourself to thinking that you are going to have one of those days where you do an early shift; go home and have ten minutes in the chair and then straight out with the lads on "the razz" later. On arrival make sure that you complete your day as normally as possible eg. supper and bed at 2130-2300 as normal. Golden rule: NO ALCOHOL. This will ruin REM sleep and you will wake the next day tired.
2: Going Eastbound. This I'm afraid is more difficult. Same again with the watch. This time try to get as much rest prior to departure and during the flight as possible, preferably sleep. You still need to discipline yourself to a "normal day" at destination. What's worse here is that you will probably be taking off at the end of a normal day Westside and upon arrival back in blighty still need to stay awake another 8 hrs! Difficult. Once again no alcohol.
From my days of ATPL's I think that the books always said that Westward was easiest. But I have to say that staying awake at the other end and getting into "their day" is the best option from the start.
Hope this helps and good luck!