PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Living in Malacca
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2004, 13:07
Virtual Reality

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi MAS,

I will try to answer all your questions but it may not be 100% correct but close enough as I am don't live there.

Q. Possible to have a social life?
A. Yes but not as good as living in a cosmopolitan area. There are few night spots around town area and almost all 5 star hotel have at least an entertainment outlet. Few beautiful beaches, golf courses, safaripark/mini zoo/waterpark/ cum golf course/resorts with serviced apartments. Expats won't have much problem in Malacca unless your life style is something like Michael Jackson or any Hollywood stars.........

Q. Nice places to live? Cost?
A. Quite reasonable and affordable. With USD1000 a month, you could get a fully furnished approx. 1000 sq feet apartment or fully furnished bungalow if you choose to live in the outskirt. Malacca is connected by a 4 lanes highway in between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur (each direction will take approx 3 hrs drive). Food stuffs are really cheap and fresh. If a local earns USD500-600 a month, he can live comfortably but not levishly.
{USD1.00=Ringgit Malaysia (RM) 3.80}

Q. Any immediate threat to westeners (terror, kidnapping etc.)
A. Not really, quite a peaceful town and the crime rate is quite low although it is not a crime free area.

Q. What vaccinations would you suggest?
A. Unable to give you any advise in this matter, probably few basic shots related to malaria, hepatitis, BCG will certainly helps.

Q. If this plan materializes, she-who-must-be-obeyed and daughter will join me there after a while. Can she find a job (has intl. business education)
A. Should be able to but she must get an employer who is willing to sponsor a working visa for her.

Last but not least, try this http://www.tourism.gov.my/ to get a general idea about Malaysia.

Have a pleasant stay in The Land of Truly Asia.