PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recruitment woes at BA.
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2004, 07:44
Ghostflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PP,

You are spot on and posted just as I was writing my missive. I was told BA do a computer scored handling exercise, if that is the case it probably explains their problems (If that isn't true then the rest of what I have to say is probably bunk).

A computer based score was probably a good way of doing it when everyone flew jets made of angle iron which required a rapid scan to avoid spearing in. Now you take the AP out on a 330 and all that changes is the FMA until you go straight on at the next corner. Back in the 20s (only kidding) when the system was designed it probably met their requirements neatly, now perhaps they need to re-examine what skill base they are looking for.

Perhaps BA should still use the sim but look at the guys learning curve as it progresses. With a modern jet sim, that takes care of you even when something fails, it is much harder to make that judgement and if you failed a bunch of systems the candidates would cry foul.

EK used the 310 sim so that they got more data about how the guy flies. If he was 310 rated he was expected to fly to a higher standard than a 320 mate who hadn't trimmed a jet for years. (Didn't always work out that way). The key thing is that you can see how a guy operates out of his element and see how quickly he learns and adapts. That is probably a better pointer to how an average mate will cope with the training. Next I'll be advocating that we check out how he or she flies an NDB approach, with dip next to a thunderstorm, whilst getting the sextant out and tuning the DF.

Ghost