PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The NAS Debate: Other Opinions
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2004, 14:33
WALLEY2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ICAO compliant

The USA NAS has many compulsary comms and flight procedures at large uncontrolled regional aiports where they do not have their nomal radar coverage.These are mainly in Alaska and the Rockies, though in the contiguous states these airports are in E class.

VoR my question

Subject to ICAO ANNEX 2 Rules of the Air Chapter 4 VFR

I could require a flight plan and radio watch and compulsary calls in G class (ref4.9)

Under ANNEX 11 can a member state's appropriate authority (CASA) make a designated zone requiring comms or flight procedures in uncontrolled airspace while maintaining compliance to ICAO.

If you allow the airspace designation to have priority over other annexs and recommendations you could say you are non ICAO compliant when applying an ICAO rule of the air!!

Clearly as someone who knows little about enroute airspace, I am suprised that an ATS designated zone requiring comms or an approach procedure to an airport cannot be in a class E or G airspace and remain ICAO compliant.

While a CAGRS and MBZ is NAS(USA) compliant I thought it could be demonstrated it is ICAO compliant. I realise it is of little importance and that complying to ICAO only would only get you a third world level of coverage.

However, when reading ICAO Airport Annex 14 and 11 when I can find it, the ICAO recommendations seemed aimed at allowing enhancements to safety like MBZ procedures yet mainaining the right of compliancy.

Could you advise thanks Mike Caplehorn

Resue1 I am not anonymous so I must be right even when asking a question