PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fitness Test - Fail and you're out!
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2004, 12:45
The Swinging Monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As someone who was the wrong side of the scales before I left the mob, I would frankly question the real reasoning behind this.
There will always be those 'racing snakes' who claim that we should all be mega fit and able to deploy blah. That may well be true, but squadrons 'lose' more people NOT because they are overweight or supposedly 'unfit' but because they have injured themselves 'jock-strapping' around the world, day-in, day-out.

I have been grateful for my extra layer of insulation as a SAR crewman, and I firmly believe that if you are fit enough to do your job, then that should be enough.

We do not yomp for miles, like the pongo world does, and therefore that argumant dosn't hold true.

Maybe it's time that the aircrew got together and flew everyone on a Nimrod low level trip (very low level!). All those that chuck-up can have remedial training, and if they barf again, then out you go!

Likewise, if it is really that important, then lets get all those scribblies and the likes out on a real survival exercise, instead of pi$$ing about and playing at it like they do!!

Rant over, time for another Pie!!

Kind regards
The Swinging Monkey
'Caruthers, pass me another glass of that lo fat Grouse stuff!!'