PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - South African Airlines - Very Good - Except For Heathrow, Same Old Problems...
Old 25th Jun 2004, 12:00
Islander Jock

I don't want to be the best pilot in the world - Just the oldest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I'm a regular on Springbok between Perth and Luanda.

Like Boss Raptor, I find their aircraft well presented and the cabin crew excellent.

Still remember fondly my first trip home with them about 3 years ago back in the days when they were operating the SP with those out of date hollow tubes they called earphones. Aircraft was being delayed at the ramp in JNB by a couple of passengers who for whatever reason thought they were entitled to an upgrade to business class. Probably too much booze and dope in their tiny brains. The cabin crew tried everything they possibly could to please this pair of ratbags by offering them all sorts of seating in the economy section. Glad they didn't take it up though as I might have missed out on my 4 centre row seats to myself. Captain had the right idea and offloaded their bags and them, in that order. He even made them stand at the door where all the pax could glare at them whilst security arrangements were made to get them off the plane.

Throughout the flight the cabin crew were very apologetic to everyone on board and worked their butts off to try and make up for everyone being delayed into Perth. But the funniest thing I ever heard was on final when the CSD got on the PA and in his finest Afrikaans accent said "Cabin crew SIT..... STAY"

These days I do PER-JNB in the new A340. Guys the seat pitch on these things sucks big time!!!!!

And could someone tell me why a flight would be cancelled 8 days prior. Would it be a maintenance / schedulling issue or just under booked and not worth starting the engines for? Interested to know as I now have to spend another 3 days in Luanda. AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!