PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Navigation "Training"??
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2004, 05:58
Dendmar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEagle

Before you take the 'yooful' attitude to immediately go tell the Authority, may I suggest you check out your facts. It would be very unfair of you to deprive Army Pilots of their exemption based on an unchecked opinion of yours. At DEFTS Barkston Heath, they ARE taught the DC.

I agree with you that the DC is a useful tool to become familiar with in Flying Training but it is not what I would call essential. However, I do feel it should remain within the knowledge base of any aspiring pilot.

The truth is, that a QSP has a lot more experience by the time he wishes to acquire a PPL and we do know that MDR for an experienced Pilot, does work very well.

I have to say that I find it hardly surprising that your threat has engendered a rather juvenile response from some PPruners on 'MILITARY AIRCREW'; perhaps it came across in a way inintended,but then your original threat, was rather juvenile.

Concerning:

"They get taught Jack Sh*t as far as the computer is concerned. All they get is MDR! I have to deal with it on the UAS and, as you've said they haven’t a clue. MDR is the ONLY way they are taught; I spend all my time at medium level ensuring they don't get too far off track because they don't listen to met briefed winds or apply the MDR wrongly!"

You seem to have set much store on this comment - I thought it was a UAS Instructors role to teach Navigation using, yes perhaps MDR. You can say the same, if the above UAS student was using a DC.