PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas placed in Receivership!
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2001, 11:18
Spad

I wonder how many times idiots (and I make no apology for the emotive tag) like "wobblypilot" need to be reminded that the "flood of pilots from Dunnunda to the UK" is made up totally of British passport holders or Australians or New Zealanders - (AND Zimbabweans AND West Indians AND people from all over the rest of the world whose parents or grandparents were born in the UK) - ie, they have right of abode under laws put in place by the UK government.

Other Australians and New Zealanders without this right of abode can't work in the UK outside the under 26 temporary visa provisions - unless their skills are needed in the country and no Briton can fill the vacancy.

It might also be instructive for gentlemen like "wobblypilot" to look at the current thread on the Dunnunda page, "...Where are they now?" ( http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/For...ML/005230.html ). The list is incomplete, but it gives details of where some 400,or about half, of the first "flood" of Australian pilots went post 1989. You'll see that very few went anywhere near England - certainly not nearly as many as the number of British pilots went to Australia to take the jobs on offer there.

Anyone who wonders why so many Australians want the the country declared a republic need only look to idiotic posts like that of "wobblypilot's" for one of many answers.

Oh, and like "whalecapt's" father and tens of thousands of others, my father wasn't asked to show a visa when he arrived in England in 1941 either.

And wasn't Keith Park, the commander of the most important RAF Fighter Group involved in the Battle of Britain battle, a Kiwi?