PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - An ambitious 15 year old needs your help!!!
Old 24th Jun 2004, 11:28
pancho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent post Global, I fully agree with you. Advice can come from all ages to all ages. I’ve been in this business for a long time and am regularly accompanied in my high velocity aluminium office by people almost half my age and there are times when their advice or suggestions to me have been welcome and helpful. Without question, experience gives you more knowledge to advise but the young people in question are perfectly entitled to offer their advice on the grounds of their experience to date, the “golden oldies” do not have an exclusive right to passing on “the knowledge”.

Arpan, here’s a possible plan: Imperative…..use your second level education to get you to college, get a degree in something you would enjoy as a career if flying does not work out OR if at some time in the future you get bored with regular commercial flying or can no longer do it (it happens), deciding on a flying career does not rule out other studies and go for the highest grades you can. In the meantime start studying for the PPL, begin chipping away at the old block. If you see airline sponsorship schemes being offered later on apply for them (that’s the best way if are lucky enough), if you fancy a military career think carefully about the implications.

Above all, always stay focused on your target and always give yourself options, both are compatible and necessary, infact that’s the way I approach my daily flying routine.

And that was good advice Waspie, they only thing is you will have to keep reading those “Navigation” books (and more) even years after you’ve become a pilot, it’s part of the job I’m afraid!!