PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defence: Public ignorance, the media, and cutbacks
Old 23rd Jun 2004, 22:28
CatpainCaveman

PrOOne -

The Swedish situation???? The ladies beach-volleyball team getting rowdy again?? Volunteers to intervene for the sake of northern Europe security one pace forward - and watch for the stampede!

Thanks for the update - it's a fair cop, I have been somewhat pre-occuppied with issues other than Swedish defence procurement and the Grippen site could do with updating. However I think the gist of my point still stands, and judging by some of the other replies I think others may agree with my general sentiment.

I still can't understand why if the Grippen is so capable (Typhoon detractors keep plugging it as a cheaper but equally handy option) why the Swedes need so many for a relatively limited requirement that doesn't extend much further than their ADZ? I don't think it's anything to do with Swedish military expansionism, more a realisation that a credible defence needs investment, which our government needs to realise.

VP959 - the OF5/1* are mearly trying to allocate the resources they are given. It's still the Sir Humphries of this world that work out how much pocket money we get to spend on toys according to our political masters' wishes and vote-winning needs. Rather than simply taking it up the hoop, it would be nice to finally see some of them stand up and defend the military amd what we need. Or don't they believe we are worth defending anymore??????? Some one please prove me wrong - being sent into a war where people have 20 rounds and no body armour means guys & girls at the coal face are beginning to seriously doubt how much of our collective interests they have at heart.

If all the rumours are true - carriers to be mothballed, aircraft types axed, regiments sold off to the lowest bidder, and I realise these are all worst case scenario media-led stories, it will be a catastrophe. Can you imagine the headlines if the NHS turned round and said that we have reviewed our capability requirements and have decided to axe all heart surgery to meet budgetary constraints? Well take that analogy and transfer to MOD ........

Last edited by CatpainCaveman; 23rd Jun 2004 at 22:38.