PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet lag...How minimize it?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2004, 20:00
Basil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The closest thing in the hangar to jetlag is being moved on to nightshift work. You feel tired when you are trying to work and then cannot sleep when you want to.
Absolutely marvellous fun!

I am not aware of any effective non-hazardous way of overcoming the effects other than spending time in the new timezone. I believe we adjust at about an hour or less per day. As a sailor we crossed about half an hour per day in the Atlantic and that was easily manageable but 10 hours in one night is a bit tough.

Some academics believe that there is more than one body clock, e.g. one for sleep and another for diurnal body temperature and that, whilst the temperature rhythm would (without the influence of the 24 hour day) stabilise at 25 hours, the sleep cycle can vary from 20 to 28 hours.

Ref the question:
When you sleep depends whether you wish to synchronise to local time or remain on your 'home' time.
The best circumstances for sleeping are (of course) a quiet, comfortable bedroom, a calm winding-down period (avoid full and frank discussions about politics, religion and who should buy the next round of drinks ), and having mentioned alcohol, although it may induce sleep, it suppresses REM sleep and therefore quality of rest.
As a pilot, just considering the return trip, I sleep when I'm tired. I've tried forcing myself to stay awake in order to get a block of sleep before departure and then been unable to sleep to order

The final and most important bit about the exam question is 'What answer does the examiner want to hear?'