PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The NAS Debate: Other Opinions
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2004, 12:44
ferris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capcom.
I can see issues, but it's a great start.
I still think that at the end of the day, this whole thing is a people issue.

Dick, as a pilot only, doesn't understand the air traffic side of what he is doing. I also think that some ATCs have not a great idea of what Dick is on about (mainly due to his confrontational and disdainful style). eg Dick doesn't really get that the freedom he sees in the US is a product of them having controllers coming out of their arses. What is achieved in oz is done with 1/20th of the US' controller resources, alone. Same amount of airspace, 1/16th the traffic, but 1/20th the resources, and god knows how much less radar (thereby intensifying the labour side of controlling). Basically, workload issues. He then thinks delays to VFRs etc are a product of laziness and over-regulation. I don't think, as a profit-focussed individual, that he recognises that a railroad still has to have a long, expensive train track, clear of obstructions, no matter how many trains run along it per day, one or one hundred, which is why public transport is generally run by governments. Before I get too far off on this analogy- the US has the resources to enable greater VFR freedom. Specifically, radar coverage and the eyes to monitor it. There are other things as well, such as the shear volume of jet traffic means that the inbound flow to an airport is heavily regulated, allowing 'dead zones' directly over the top that VFRs can transit etc. No such thing in oz. Oz is much more flexible for arriving and departing jets at, say, Sydney. It is the very fact that oz has less traffic that precludes VFR transits. SY also has bizarre 'noise sharing' arrangements that you won't find anywhere in 'the US system'. This means that VFRs CAN'T have the same NON-PARTICIPATORY freedom.
I think there is room for flexibility (as Capcom has shown), but not the 'US system'. Whatever is decided will only exist for a short time anyway, until technology enables a lot of the freedoms that he craves.
If only you had held the "Higgins Airport Hilton Conference" BEFORE you went down the path of lying and steamrolling, Dick. You might have found all this out without all the aggro.