PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - An ambitious 15 year old needs your help!!!
Old 22nd Jun 2004, 21:01
waspie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many people will tell you all sorts of things (specially on forums!), but dont be put off if people say "its too difficult" or something like that. It is hard, however, if it wasnt then airline pilots wouldnt have the reputation they have would they.
The main thing to remember is that things change, ALL the time.
Sponsorship at the moment is a no no, non existent basically. You can get it, but have very little chance. However, pilot recruiting goes up and down like a yo-yo. In five years from now there may be a shortage. We just dont know. Therefore, it is vital you plan for anything that could happen. I am a fool, purely because I do not have a back-up plan. I am 17 and I cannot even imagine not becoming a pilot. I should have a back-up plan because the amount of trainee pilots who never get jobs is staggering. So always have a plan B!

Read all you can to do with aviation. Get work experience wherever you can. I had 4 days work experience with GO Airlines, of which 2 days were in the flight deck (not bad!). Nowadays you cannot get into the flight deck. Now, this is a complicated story and so I will do my best to explain what I mean. As I have said, these days you will not get into the flight deck (unless your flying the plane!). I was told exactly the same thing when I phoned GO Airlines asking if it was possible for me to get into the flight deck with them. They said no way, absolutely impossible. I let it go at that, I told my dad there was no way. Anyway, he phones them up and asks who can go into the flight deck. They said employees only. So my dad then got onto the fleet manager at GO. Between them they worked out that I could get into the flight deck, because if I did work experience then I would be a temporary employee.
The meaning of this being; there is always a solution to the problem. DO NOT give up. I have nothing but respect for the airline pilots of today, this is what makes me want to become a pilot (among many other things!). Use what drives you to keep you interested. I dont enjoy reading "Navigation" books, but I do it because it increases my chances of becoming a pilot. Do the same and you will make it with a little luck!

One last point, employers do not think academics are everything. I am not implying that the person above meant this, nor am I implying that they dont matter. They matter a lot! But they arent everything, and so if you arent a strong academic (I'm certainly not, aiming for two B's and a C at A-level which isnt great) then dont be put of.
Sorry for going on a bit and I wish you all the best.
waspie
Mark Wilson