PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The NAS Debate: Other Opinions
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2004, 14:49
WALLEY2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dick,

One of the last written correspondence from Mr Mick Toller about 1 week before his sudden departure was that he was forming an opinion that some aspects of the NAS needed a Design Analysis. I am not implying that because of this opinion he was pushed. I spoke to Mick 1 week before he left and he did not indicate either this or his intention to resign, we were again discussing our decision to do a DAS and generally if CASA had any objections or comment.

Other ppruners, though might not be aware of Mr Tollers opinion at that time and his advise of that opinion to the ARG.

You will recall your memos to Mr Ken Matthews Sec DOTaRS and letter to Mr Langhorne Dep PM Cheif of staff stating that a DAS showing an unfavourable finding on the NAS would force CASA to stop the NAS and do a DAS on the whole system and that this would be a disaster. As I recall you wanted the ARM( AIRSPACE RISK MODEL) by AsA and CASA changed to show a CTAF was as safe as an MBZ.

Yet the imput to the ARM was done based on actual surveys of traffic calls at 5 CTAF A/Ps and 5 MBZ A/ps and revealed noncalls as CTAF 5% and MBZ 1%

I recall you berated Ken for not getting this done when you first raised it with him. It was one of those influence versus authority things, that has been raised on pprune.

Just wanted to correct the advise and state Mr Mick Toller was of the opininion a DAS on the NAS was probably necessary and this was 5 months before 2b implementation .