PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seatbelts
Thread: Seatbelts
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2004, 14:03
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
4) For aircraft with screens in the back of the seats, you could have the pax name displayed as tha a/c is boarding. This would simply need a message sent from the booking system, which should be manageable, and a bit of software tweaking.
I think that this is a VERY good idea but would need to wait for future systems. The reason being (I deduce) that the central system does not 'know' about each screen. There is a cable carrying all channels of sound and vision to each seat and the selection is made there, with no direct connection between the seat and the central system.

Consequently, to get a unique meassage to an individual screen, would probably require addtional hardware - albeit it tiny - to identify the screen/seat. The method of getting the information then becomes easier and conventional network systems could do so. When LAN type connections are provided at every seat, it would be a doddle.

I expect that we shall see this sort of thing in 1st and Club fairly soon, linked to an interactive touch screen to request drinks, snacks, food. This would enable the cabin staff to bring the correct drink in one visit, rather than be called over to take the order and then go back to get it.

The idea of having your name on the seat screen, to help ensure that people actually get into the seat they were allocated, sounds good to me!!

On the above technical deduction, I sit to be corrected and perhaps someone could bring me a brandy??
--------------------
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.