PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The NAS Debate: Other Opinions
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2004, 07:13
Creampuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dick

In the thread titled "The NAS debate: Voices of Reason and Dick Smith", you've stated among other things that:
I [Dick Smith] should point out to all readers that the NAS model (see http://www.dicksmithflyer.com.au/nasfinal.doc) has been approved by Federal Cabinet. It was not just the Minister, it went to Cabinet level, and the elected Government decided that this was the airspace system that Australia was to move to.
You've also stated that:
The elected Government clearly instructed Airservices to comply with the law on the introduction of NAS.
I note that the Air Services Act says in section 16 that:
(1)The Minister may give written directions to AA relating to the performance of its functions or the exercise of its powers.

(2) AA must comply with a direction given under subsection (1).
I'm sure that you would agree that if the Minister and the Cabinet thought the introduction of NAS was so important, the Minister would have given, or would have been made by the Cabinet to give, a direction to Airservices to do so.

Are you aware if such a direction has been given? If such a direction has not been given, I'm sure that you would agree "the government" is, like you, prepared to talk the talk but not prepared walk the walk.