PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates emergency landing in JNB
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2004, 05:44
Reverend Doctor Doug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Cap 56

I have not commented on this forum previously because I do not have access to the facts even though I am a lot closer to them than you are.

What i am going to say now that you have drawn me into this arena is that you are the most despicable kind of human being that exists.

You have lowered yourself to trying to judge fellow aviators on a public forum with half truths and inuendo. I dont actually care whether you are right or wrong. What i care about is the way you are attacking two of my colleagues who apparently have paid a very high price for following company direction.

The issue here is the process not the person. Even if it can be proven beyond any doubt that the PF made an unexplainable error. He is still a product of the system that trained and evaluated him. It is the system that is at fault, not the individual.

It is because of people like you, who will willlingly slander a colleague for the simple purpose of furthering their own percieved position or status, that we have the kind of culture that exists here.

You write anonymously, proclaiming to possess skills and judgement levels beyond those of everyone who cares to disagree with you. Let me say that few of us possess the ability to calmy calculate all your so called "cultural values" while dealing with an emergency of this magnitude. Error will inevitably be made. It is what you do after the error has been made that establishes who you are. These guys did good.

Evidence suggests that they were taught an incorrect rotation technique, so they cannot be blamed for that. From that point they managed to get a seriously disabled jet on the ground safely with no-one injured. That is what they are paid to do.

It is easy enough for you in your ivory tower, with the benefit of hindsight and no pressure, to pick holes in their decisions. I doubt if many people would have done a better job. I certainly don't believe that I would. For the record I dont believe that you would have either, despite your self proclaimed expertise.

EK has some serious issues to deal with. They may never get them sorted. But I am here to say that it is a better airline for not having you in it.

The Rev