PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL(A) Training Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2004, 15:29
Argo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPL(A) Training Aircraft

Dear PPRuNe'ers

I am about to start my PPL(A) training, having taken a few trial flights, and wanted to know from those taking lessons - but instructors also - whether certain aircraft such as the CAP 10B or Robin 2160 are considered suitable for flight training. They are the aircraft I would like to fly post PPL(A) - either one. I ask because the advice I received in NZ ('fly what you want'), runs slightly counter to advice in the UK ('fly the C152/172, etc).

I have taken trial flights in the Robin (in NZ), and have previously flown in RAF Bulldogs (just a few hours a lifetime ago!), and really enjoyed it. I love the excellent visibility, stick control, and excellent handling (from a novice's point of view). I found the Robin really similar to the Bulldogs I have flown in.

My choice is based on my trial flights, but also on advice from a very good mate (who used to instruct), that I should also consider the alternative of training in a CAP10B - although slightly more expensive - which is a superb training ab initio aircraft.

I read quite a few message strings on this site, such as 'Suitable aircraft to learn in', etc, and the view seems to be, "providing its not completely unsuitable, learn in whatever aircraft you want to." Thus, could those out there who have learned in the above aircraft, or have something they think would be useful to add, give me the benefit of their advice.

Look forward to all views. Feel free to PM.

Regards
Argo

PS - I have posted this also on Private Flying. Moderators, please feel free to delete either one. I was not sure whether to post on 'Instructors' or 'Private Flying.'