PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting FAA PPL & CPL
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2004, 15:19
chopperpilot47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head bolt is absolutely right. The last I heard you could take FAA computerised exams in either Norwich or Humberside. I advise you to study using something like the ASA prepware as it closely resembles the FAA exams and has the full question database. I advise you then to take the actual exams in the USA where you only pay $80 with free resits if required. The ASA website is at www.asa2fly.com

There is no FAA ground school as far as I know in the UK but I am back in the UK this week and would be happy to help you out if you need it. PM me for my number. I am back and forth to the USA so if you need help call me.

The FAA commercial exams are not too difficult with some study. I would not describe them as easy though. I agree with your suggestion about taking the commercial. You will need a total of 150 hours flight time, airplane or helicopter, with at least 50 of those hours being rotorcraft. If you have that then go for the commercial.

The commercial flight test is rightly testing requiring accurate and safe flying. Nobody who knows would describe the commercial checkride as easy. The big difference between the commercial and private is accuracy. This is all set out in the Practical Test Standards where the required standards are set out.

My website lists the requirements for private and commercial with other information about visas, cost etc. Let me know if you need any more information. www.dutchcountryhelo.com

Regards,

Chopperpilot 47