PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Provigil and helo ems
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2004, 12:44
Devil 49
"Just a pilot"

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Provigil and helo ems

Brief scenario:
Helicopter pilot performing emergency medical service. Seven day tour, consists of 4-12 hour days, followed by 3-12 hour nights. Flights assist requestors with rudimentary training in preparing a place to land and interacting with a flight crew. Requestor usually fully occupied with his own emergency.
Flights performed as requested, no advance scheduling.
Flights very seldom utilize any aviation infrastructure- I don't go to airports. I don't use airways, and very, very seldom even talk to air traffic control.
The landing site is unfamiliar.

Issue (if it's not obvious):
This schedule doesn't allow time to adapt to day/night schedule change.
On night duty, I'm attempting to perform hardest part of the job- night scene calls- when I'm at my lowest mental ability. I'm supported in my decisions to fly or refuse.
I know I'm impaired when I make some of these decisions- many of my "patient-passengers" end up aboard my aircraft through drink, which promotes a similar mental state as the one I'm attempting to deal with.
My hazard is that I may over-extend myself because I don't allow adequate margin for the fact I'm impaired because I'm impaired.

I attempt to deal with this issue by sleeping late on my the change-over day, nap opportunely and use caffiene cautiously and discretely.

Provigil is not a permitted drug for civil flight crews. Why?

Suggestions for dealing with this sleep disruptive schedule also welcome.