PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The NAS Debate: Other Opinions
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2004, 09:38
I Fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for being a bit late with my post. With regards to the pprune contributors being anonymous. Most if not all Safety Management Systems have anonymous reporting for very good reasons. Or are you suggesting they are all wrong?

Just a few thoughts on Dick\'s reply of 21 June.

1 "As we move to the US system in an incremental way, and pilots and air traffic controllers learn the “culture”, unnecessary safety incidents will reduce."
How many 'necessary' incidents will there be?

2 This is because Australians regularly fly in the United States in both radar and non-radar airspace.
Dick and many Australians fly or have flown through Russian airspace. Our population distribution is more like theirs rather than the US. Why don't we adopt the Russian system? It's probably cheaper?

3 I am far happier to use commonsense and accept that 100 years of US airspace evolution has resulted in a very safe system.
I'm not aware that the Wright brothers were involved in airspace design.

4 As I’ve mentioned previously, all independent scientific experts tell me that the Aviation Risk Model that Airservices uses for design safety cases in Australia is so subjective that it is not really worth the paper it is written on.
Does that mean that 99.99% of scientific experts are not independent?

5 It is almost as if we developed a unique system in Australia which presumed that pilots were getting a “favour” from the air traffic control body to be able to fly in controlled airspace and they were indeed lucky if they got a clearance.
Perhaps Dick could work on the Australian Constitution and give us a right to the air.
The Australian Constitution is unique and ALL law has to comply with it.

5 I have never said that the United States system is safer than that used in any other country in the world.

6 I have had three successful businesses – all successful because I asked advice and copied the success of others. If we do this in Australia in relation to aviation we will be leaders in the world.
By following item 5, does that not make us sheep rather than leaders? I don't understand how we can be leaders by following someone.

Last edited by I Fly; 21st Jun 2004 at 10:42.