PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Full emergency call out for minor incident at LHR!
Old 21st Jun 2004, 03:27
Pontius' Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been trying to post a reply since Gonzo posted the facts from the ATC side, unfortunately I was unable to post.

I am sure as has been discussed since then, that the Firefighting and Rescue services reacted in a manner befitting the callout they were given.

A few salient points which I feel are pretty much fact from the point of view from the Air Mauritius crew are:

1. The problem was a surface jam on retraction after takeoff, not a hydraulic problem.

2. The crew declared a PAN, after having been asked by ATC if they were declaring an emergency. As per normal LHR ATC were fully supportive during the return to LHR.

3. Approximately 60 000 kgs of fuel was jettisoned.

4. A landing was performed in an abnormal flap/slat configuration (as can be seen on the link given by akerosid), which would have required a higher Vapp and the additional runway length that was spoken about.

5. Landing weight was approximately 186 000kgs - max landing weight 190 000 kgs.

6. An MOR was filed as required by legislation.

7. The aircraft departed for Mauritius on Saturday in the early afternoon with the same crew, after the defect had been rectified. An earlier departure was possible but the crew were out of flight duty time. Due consideration was also given to the passengers affording them the opportunity of a full rest before continuing to their beautiful tropical destination. The other crew in London at the time were on a rest period and were unable to operate the flight back earlier.

We should be comforted to know that Gonzo and his peers are there evaluating the event from their side preparing the airfield for the return of the aircraft - I certainly am. We sometime fail to 'see' some things in the heat of handling the abnormal situation. Maybe, as Danny says it was an over reaction but on the safe side.

Hopefully this helps.

edited for spelling and word order

Last edited by Pontius' Pilot; 21st Jun 2004 at 03:42.