PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vb (Turbulence penetration speed)
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2004, 07:21
Snapper_head

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent post Wing Root. As you correctly stated Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators only discusses Va which is of course different to Vb and D. P. Davies explanation is close to answering the question but not quite there.

Yes pointyendforward a Baron flight manual gives only the Va speed but states to use this speed in the absence of the Vb speed. There is apparently a few light GA machines which have a published Vb speed possibly a Chieftain / Nav.

With reference to D.P Davies in Handling The Big Jets it is my interpretation that he has used Vra as the best means to demonstrate the parameters used in calculating a turbulence penetration speed although this is not in fact Vb. As stated above he defines Vb as "one of the parameters used in establishing Vra" which is "the recommended speed for flight in turbulence" This is where I become unstuck as he does not explain how Vb is calculated although Vra is related to Vb.

Once again I pose the question how is Vb calculated.

It would seem that the pilot orientated texts that define or discuss this topic fall short of explaining the parameters for its development. (Anyone feel free to correct me)