PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The NAS Debate: Other Opinions
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2004, 05:27
Gunner B12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dick

Thank you for taking the trouble to respond to my point my appologies for not getting back sooner.

Gunner B12, you have asked who has declared the American system as world’s best practice. It wasn’t me but anyone who has had experience in flying in many airspace systems around the world would agree that it is a very good one. Why wouldn’t it be? It has evolved over 100 years with large amounts of money available (America is the wealthiest country on earth) and it is a very litigious society so pressure is brought to bear to have the best balance of safety, freedom and cost. So whilst it may not be the best one in the world in every situation, it is certainly an excellent system.
I would have to point out that just because it is a very good system in many peoples opinion doesn't make it best. The pre november australian system had evolved over the same period so we can't use that arguement. So I can only assume that you are using the litigation arguement to justify saying it is better. But isn't it also true that in a legal system those best represented are those who can best afford to litigate?

I will ask once again more clearly wouldnt worlds best practice be judged by the unbiased be the system with, the least accidents, the acknowledged most efficient services, the least burden on government funding and all that without the expensive radar coverage of other countries.

If you hadn't had the blinkers on when looking for worlds best practice is it not possible you could have found it right here? What we seem to have is change for change sake. The typical Australian industry model of It works so let's fix it.