PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 97 IOT Fly past
Thread: 97 IOT Fly past
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2004, 20:17
Down 4 Reprogram

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike Jenvey,

If you are the Mike Jenvey I remember, then yes we have met a few times. The first time if I recall was when you lectured us (98 IOTC) on Flight Safety – including your little mishap in Canada. Quite ironic really.

Now, for those who just like to remember, or the yoofs who do not what the f&ck we are on about – pull up a sandbag and think back to those heady days (must have been late November/early December 1986 but I'm sure someone will correct me on the exact date)…

You're standing on the parade square of CHOM in your brand spanking new No 1 as Support Sqn for the graduating course. Standing there to make the square look full once the graduates of 97 IOTC have done their thing and marched off. Hark, what is this you hear approaching – it must be the promised flypast.

Pass 1 (Fine and dandy). Two F4's whip past from left to right as you view it, with your back to CHOM. Nice and noisy – just what the crowd are expecting. Good that means things are almost over, time for the graduates to turn and start marching off into CHOM to trample all over that blasted carpet.

Just when you think things are going to plan you see the F4's appear again out of the corner of your eye to the right. They must have banked left and are now moving to reform over No 1 Mess…

Pass 2 (A surprise for the crowd). The Tooms form up line abreast and come directly at you and they seem quite a bit lower than the first pass. Over the road, over the gates, then the Orange, then over the crowd of family and friends – catching them unawares with the approach from behind. Hope there aren't any Grannies with weak hearts. Finally, the pair split and pass just over the roof of CHOM, one either side, and level with, the bell tower (as I'm reliably told because I obviously couldn't see that bit). The noise and blast breaks some of the glass in the bell tower windows.

Crikey thinks you – that was a bit of fun, but there is more to come…

Pass 3 (Hold onto your hats). Out of sight behind CHOM the Tooms bank left again and prepare for the finale pass – this time from right to left. One I think remains relatively high, but the other passes just over the roof of Whittle Hall and the line of trees next to it and then starts to sink. From the corner of your eye you can see all the detail of the underbelly, the F4 is very nose high and I believe the flaps were down as well. With the rate of sink it looks like it's coming straight at you and you are in the middle of the parade square – oh bu@@er. Then in kicks the afterburn and up it goes directly above you, starting from not very high. The noise, heat and jet blast are incredible. Hats are blasted off, one of the camera teams videoing the event is blown over, the dais lifts slightly into the air and then drops back to earth much to the surprise of the RO, and as mentioned previously the wall of stones peppers everything in sight. Above the racket you can here the Regiment FS's screaming "Stand steady!!!!".

Then it's all over, the noise dies, and it is just left for the last graduates to compose themselves and get inside CHOM and for the Reviewing Officer to rush off and make a very one sided telephone call to some poor unsuspecting Stn Cdr.

Some of the details may have dimmed through the years, but most of it remains clear. That do you for credentials CNN?

D4R