PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - the hostess with the mostest?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2004, 17:57
flapsforty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Pips, I think ETOPS is trying to say the following, and he/she will no doubt correct me if I mis-represent here.

A bulletin board like this is based on the exchange of written information, as opposed to spoken. Here you write things, and people read what you write.
When you talk, your listener will understand where a sentence stops and a new one starts by the tone of you voice, the pauses between words and such.
When reading something, there is no voice and there are no pauses. Instead, there is punctuation and the use of capital letters. A text without punctuation and capitals makes the brain of the reader 'gasp for breath'.

Reading what you write, and understandinhg what you mean, is made more difficult by the fact that you don't use punctuation.
Posts on a bulletin board are not text messages; this is a different medium. It is generally considered good Netiquette (internet etiquette) to use punctuation and capital letters. Nobody's perfect, and with all the different nationalities here, spelling and punctuation differ a lot! And that's OK; posts don't need to be perfect!!
But a bit of care in your writing does make it easier for the rest of us.

I think ETOPS was trying to say that with a joke.
Please don't be offended, nobody is telling you off, but since you asked, I think this is the answer.

Back to the subject of the thread, I'm really keen to see the new BA uniform 'live'. You guys pass through our crew centre at Schiphol so I am keeping an eye out. And just to put your mind at rest, at our airline I have never heard anyone say that they consider BA cabin crew to be 'fat scruffy and have an attitude'. You guys & girls are viewed as pleasant, professional and polite. The old uniform was no fashion statement, and we often felt a bit sorry for you having to walk around in it. But that is now remedied I understand.
(mind, our uniform is a ruddy antique and the best that can be said for the colour is 'quaint'. )