PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates emergency landing in JNB
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2004, 14:33
Cap 56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Invictus

My fried it is extremely simple what I would have done.

1. Get the right information. ATC, runway inspection and very likely a low approach to asses the real condition of my gear as much as possible. Not to asses the pressure but to find out if the tires are there at all. I am sure the would have seen 3 tires were missing.

2. Check how urgent this situation is by verifying any damage to the wing and fuel tanks (read fuel leak)

3. Check QRH for info.Determine my v ref and touchdown groundspeed. Using no formula but look at my instruments.

4. Check if my hydraulics were intact.

5. Get the distances from the QRH and double them then compare them to my cultural value of my previous landings. Since I would have lande the aircraft many times before, includsing the day before I would know what I can do with reversers only.

6. Check wind and runway slope

7. Get my cabin and ATC ready for full emergency

8. X-check with my F/O and brief him while looking for discrepancies.

9. If none, land at JNB using:

Reverseres only till below 80 Kts
No autobrakes
Probably manual speedbrake deployment would be needed
Very likely landed with 7 tons

10. After landing, call the Dubai pilot association.

In other words, I would use everything I have learned in the past.

In case it would have been established that all tires on same gear were missing, reducing my energy, (that ie m*v*v/2) would become crucial and I may have decided to go somewhere else.

So far I do not know if this was the case since I was not there. But I would have done everything possible to caver my A***

M.Mouse

You are talking type specific FADEC. It is not sure if all FADEC\'s are the same.

My opinion was not type specific but general and puts the finger on the importance of checking EGT before starting, that is all.

On some engines you can indeed launch fuel with high EGT already present.

radnav

Not so long ago EK and the UAE CAA were classified by ICAO as not meeting the minimum International Safety Standards.

This problem was caused by the fact the EK management was not up to speed with reality.

Mr Al Haddabi has done a tremendous effort to get the whole thing back on track.

I know what I talk about since I had 3 meetings with him.