PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - South African Airlines - Very Good - Except For Heathrow, Same Old Problems...
Old 19th Jun 2004, 09:24
Boss Raptor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South African Airlines - Very Good - Except For Heathrow, Same Old Problems...

Just had the pleasure to fly several LHR-JNB round trips with SAA in both economy and business and it was a delight...8 out of 10

Aircraft were very clean and very well presented, staff were very friendly and courteous both at check in, in LHR and JNB, and on the flight...average seat pitch and food comparable to BA or similar but not as good as Iberia or Emirates as example...should add that immigration and customs at JNB also exceptionally friendly, easy and polite

All round 8 out of 10 and definately worth a try...

However usual pathetic story at LHR T1, arrived this morning on time at 0630 only to have to wait on a taxiway for 20 mins 'due BMI aircraft still on our parking bay' - after 20 mins we made our way towards the gates only to have to stop just outside and wait further 10 mins 'due having to clear ground equipment from the stand'...we are now on stand and all waiting to disembark with nothing happening...guess what 'awaiting arrival of groundstaff to operate the jetway' further 10 minute delay...finally off at 0710

As I disembark I hear Globe-ground handling company supervisor tell SAA dispatcher that 'Hilo (for the baggage/cargo offload) will not arrive for another 15 mins'...thru immigration no problems...45 minute wait for the baggage finally leaving at 0755...pathetic!

Just a joke and sounding remarkably like other recent stories of the unacceptable service(s) at LHR...the London/UK premier international gateway...I am copying this to the customer comments/complaints address detailed in SAA's inflight magazine supposed to be direct(ish) to their senior exec...

So SAA only get 8 out of 10 for that and unfortunately because of the above continued LHR agro I shall always travel from LGW or any other airport in preference to that dump